SUSTAINABLE TOURISM AT SUMAQ MACHU PICCHU HOTEL
Since our beginning in 2007, at Sumaq Machu Picchu Hotel we have worked with the commiment to provide experiences in a sustainable enviroment that preserves and respects the three areas of operations of influence: economic, social and enviromental.
During this time we have been working as a responsible organization that acts under the principles of trust, loyalty, dedication to service, adaptation to change, teamwork, and a spirit of collaboration, with the aim of achieving a favorable future for all our constituents.
Our main strategic objective at the organizational level are the following:
- Support local development through concrete actions for the population and public entities of Machu Picchu Pueblo.
- Adopt the necessary measures to avoid or minimize the possible enviromental and social impacts of our tourist activities.
- Manage the organization in a sustainable way, in a way that respects both human beings and the environment.
- Bureau Veritas
- Rainforest Alliance
- Tersus max
- Aliados estratégicos
- Kaya - productos biodegradables
- ECO Contratista
- Vital Salud
Below, we provide a summary ogf the 3 areas of development of sustainable pracices that were designed with the support of the conservation organization Rainforest Alliance and that we have carried out at the hotel to date.
- We have a plan for saving and efficient management of natural resources, involving our guests and collaborators.
- we have had the advice of Aliados Estratégicos to improve the procedure for the use and saving of water, electricity, oil and gas.
- we have a Solid Waste Managemente Plan, with the policies in all areas of the hotel, involving our guests as well.
- Environmental education talks are held in coordination with the Municipality, Ministry of culture and SERNAMP.
- Rigorous policies prohibiting the sales, traffic, exhibition, extraction, or introduction of wild species and the feeding of these.
- Use of biodegradable chemical products from the company HUDSON PERU.
- Acquisition by preference of environmentally friendly supplies such as recycled paper, organic food, etc.
- Reforestation of the banks of the Vilcanota River with the support if SERNANP.
- Purchase of flowers from the community of Piry - Ollantaytambo, flowers for the decoration of the hotel, avoiding the depredation of the local flora.
- Ongoing training for the hotel´s gardening staff wth the support of SERNAMP for the protection of the flora.
- Cleaning of the ducts and grease traps, working with the company M&V.
- Use of enzymes to clean the water from the septic tank.
- Monthly fumigation with biodegradable products with the company Eco Contratista.
- Use of biodegradable products from the Kaya company, such as packaging products and takeaway containers.
- Use of glass bottles instead of plastic bottles.
- Donation of used cooking oil to a company responsible for its transformation into fuel.
- The hotel does not participate in, nor does it allow the sale, trafficking or exhibition of archaeological artifacts.
- Prohibition of commercial sexual exploitation of children and adolescents.
- Promotion and suppport of cultural sports or charitable activites carried out in the area.
- Code of conduct for guests visiting local communities.
- Actions in favor of maintaining the traditions and habits of the communities.
- Written commitment document from the hotel on its position in relation to ethnic, social and gender equity, as well as child labor.
- Support to communities with the purchase of their products such as in Chinchero ( native potatoes), Ollantaytambo ( flowers and aromatic herbs), Urubamba ( vegetables), Quillabamba ( cocoa), Anta ( mushrooms), Cusipata ( strawberries), Pisac ( crafts).
- Social aid program for surrounding communities and health campaigns for staff with the support of Essalud, MINSA, and Vital Salud.
- Green employment hiring 80% of the hotel employees from local areas. ( Machu Picchu Pueblo, Quillabamba, Sacred Valley, Cusco)
- The company has agreements with public and private entities for the development of different training for hotel staff.
- Actions to improve the work enviroment and awards to workers with the best performance through an agreement with the company Gnosis.
- Activation of the Healthy Lifestyle program, hiring a nutritionist and modifying the staff menu.
- Advice from Aliados Energeticos to improve the procedure for the use and saving of water, electricity, oil and gas.
- Support for communities with donations.
- Compliance with the labor laws of the country.
- The company has free private medical support for its workers.
Rainforest Alliance certificate ( valid until 2020)
Biosafety seals: SAFE GUARD - SAFE PLACE